Tailor-made intellectual property solutions with an in-house approach.
Always in tune with the client requirements, Michael’s practice focuses on trademark prosecution, oppositions and appeals, IP portfolio strategy and settlement negotiation, as well as anti-counterfeiting matters.
Prior to falling in love with IP, Michael worked for five years as a legal adviser for two major banks and has earned an LL.M. in banking law. He is a certified Romanian IP Attorney, since 2006 and also a European Trademark and Design Attorney.
Michael has represented many of the most valuable trademarks in the world and has worked with high-profile multinational and local clients across a wide variety of industries, including healthcare, pharmaceutical, food & drinks, cosmetics, tobacco, media, airline, fashion & luxury goods, film & music, gaming, oil & gas, consumer retail, automotive, banking, social media, IT&C, transport, advertising, hospitality & leisure, universities, sports governing bodies, wine, athletes and performing artists.
Michael has also been involved in training with law enforcement, lecturing in various anti-counterfeiting seminars with the Romanian Police, Border Police and Customs.
From 2010 to 2019 he has been a member of the INTA Anti-counterfeiting and Enforcement Committees. Since 2018 he is a member of ECTA’s Geographical Indications Committee.
He is a regular speaker at roundtables, seminars and conferences and a regular contributor of articles on trademarks, anti-counterfeiting and on general IP topics.
Michael enjoys spending time with his family, running, mountain-biking, scuba-diving and playing guitar.
Selected articles, studies and lectures:
- Industrial Design Protection in the European Union – 2008;
- INTA Roundtable on synergies and developments in the process of implementing anti-counterfeiting measures in Romania – Moderator 2010;
- The Metamorphosis of a Trademark – Acquired Distinctiveness – Case Study 2011;
- The Disclaimer – Redundancy or Necessity? – Case Study 2011;
- Building an Anti-counterfeiting Case: Turning a Lead into a Defendant – co-author – Presentation INTA Anti-counterfeiting Conference Istanbul 2012;
- The Key to Successful Trademark Enforcement in China and Africa – Moderator – INTA Anti-counterfeiting Conference Istanbul 2012;
- INTA Roundtable – Turning the IP pages – Past and Future – Legislative issues in Romania and the European Union – Moderator 2013;
- Labeling Trademarks – Case Study 2014;
- The Legal Standing of Historical Trademarks – Residual Goodwill – Case Study – 2018;
- The History of a Famous Romanian Beer Trademark – 2018.
- What do you need to know if you want to protect your trademark? – 2020